Sunday, April 10, 2016

Memor..... what was I writing about?

Chapter 9 - searcher

Credit: etsy.com
I forgot what I was supposed to be writing about! Oh wait, I remember it is memory loss. My other classmates have mentioned experiencing memory loss as they aged. I find myself within their company.  I am a member of the group called "magically forgetting what you need when you simply cross over a threshold into another room".

However, I'm not alone in my loss of memories. My husband struggles with remembering certain things too. I usually blame it on his selective hearing but studies have proven that memory loss is worse in men than women especially after the age of 40 (Epstein & Karas, 1999).  
  
Credit: flickr.com
1246 individuals between ages 30-95 were studied to determine if men's memory loss was worse than women's. It was found that memory starts to decline for both at age 30. However, memory loss was worse in men than women after 40. It was concluded that the cause of memory loss is the lack of the positive effect of the estrogen hormone and the hippocampus is smaller in men than women especially after age 60 (Epstein & Karas, 1999). Working memory tasks showed more bilateral activation in male brains versus overall left hemisphere activation in females. This result could be proof that different brain structure may be responsible for short term memory difference in men versus women. 

Don't fret! There are ways that memory loss can be fought. Adults need to keep learning. It can be a new skill, language, hobby, or art. Adults should also live a healthy lifestyle that includes aerobic exercise. However, we have to note that increased mental activity and a healthier lifestyle cannot guarantee that memory loss will not occur.


Resources: Epstein, F., Mendelsohn, M., & Karas, R. (1999). The Protective Effects of Estrogen on the Cardiovascular System. New England Journal Of Medicine340(23), 1801-1811. doi:10.1056/nejm199906103402306

No comments:

Post a Comment