Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Chapter 9: The Brain & Cognitive Functioning (Suess 1st reader post)




Photo Credit: TheMetaPicture.com

I have this meme that sits on my office door. The largest slice of the pie reads “Looking for something I just had”. This meme is such an accurate representation of my typical day. One slice of the pie that it is missing- “Returning to the room I was just in to get something because I couldn’t remember why I was in there the first time”. As Merriam and Bierema point out, memory tends to decline with age. I find this phenomena to be true and it creates much aggravation for me personally. Because I can’t seem to remember anything, I keep lists. At work, I keep my to-do lists on virtual sticky notes on my desk top. This keeps them from getting lost, thereby not wasting time searching for them. Plus I can color code my action items. I also keep a handwritten journal that attends all meetings with me. This allows me to easily “remember” discussions, dates, action items, and expected outcomes. It has become my historical work record and I leaf through its pages often. In my personal life, a shopping a list is an absolute must.  Without it means returning home without picking a single item I really needed. Thus, all shopping lists are kept on my cell phone. Speaking of cell phones, I love it when I’m talking on my phone whilst frantically searching for it. 


Reference:

Merriam, S. & L. Bierema (2014). Adult learning: Linking theory and practice. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.


No comments:

Post a Comment